Orlando
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's good in the community?

2 posters

Go down

What's good in the community? Empty What's good in the community?

Post  Angel Eyes 2010-05-28, 12:01 pm

Let's talk about what's out there for folks who don't know =-)

I know GIFT does three support groups a month at the Center on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Tuesdays. I've heard there's a gathering for the men at Stardust. Is that still going on?

What else is happening?

Angel Eyes

Back to top Go down

What's good in the community? Empty Re: What's good in the community?

Post  Jake 2010-05-28, 3:13 pm

Guys are meeting Wednesdays - from what I understand it is informal and sometimes ends up happening at somebody's house. I can't attend regularly but am somewhat keeping tabs. A couple guys want something more structured. I can't take that task on due to my inability to commit to something regular - but I can help make it happen if there is somebody willing to take the responsibility of being available - for regular meetings, responding to inquiries, and communicating with the guys and community at large. Other then showing up - there is not much to it - unless you have your own big ideas. If that's the case - bring it on - let's see how we can support it. There is a local web-site for guys - anybody can join - but trying to keep the intent to support the male experience. Only a couple folks on it, but may be helpful to stay linked in.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orlandotguys/cal

Florida Anti-Violence Project
Has a new name - Council on Sexual and Gender Equity
Still a Florida anti-violence project - just not the name.
If anyone wants to get state and 'Council" training to be an advocate for trans victims specifically let me know. Other opportunities as well - for projects, strategic planning, etc.
Most programming is for the greater queer community, but with a heavy weight on trans needs - and then some specific trans programs - depending on resources (which at this point means volunteers). Creating sensitivity training curricula for law enforcement, direct service agencies, government departments and programs, and youth services. Intention to expand to medical and mental health services. If you are interested in participating - contributing to curricula or getting trained on it, let me know - I'll get you linked in.
Also - hotline training is currently available - would love more trans folks involved, and individuals willing to participate in agency trainings to offer a trans voice to the mix. Don't have to be trained in advocacy at this point - but is encouraged.
There will be a new website soon with the Council name.

LGBT homeless youth coalition "Florida Youth Services"
Still very active in creating an infrastructure and program planning. Will be a 'full spectrum' resource for homeless LGBT youth. There is great consideration for the trans experience - but wanting more of a trans voice in these dialogues and planning. If you care to write - what would be very helpful is if folks would write about their challenges, now or as a youth and before, during or after transitioning, personal or societal barriers. These are 'arguments' I can use, by adding these ideas and experiences to the limitations youth have to overcoming these to increase attention and then opportunities. Your voice or your stories will help our next generation.

Several groups I know of have started talking about TDOR.
Maybe we could have a TDOR category to create space for us to discuss what we want and don't want, how we want to participate and what others are willing to offer us. This site could be really helpful in defining these things as a community. Then we can ask other groups and agencies to show up - by meeting us at our identified wants and needs.
This could reduce the opportunities of our community getting hurt, disrespected, and/or re-traumatized by others - whether it is of good or ill intentions. We create the space defined by what WE want.
This site can certainly be used as a powerful tool to create positive change for our community. Participation = Power
Love it ! Thanks for creating this space !

Jake

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Eyes 2010-05-28, 3:41 pm

That was a mouthful! Lolz. Imma go check out that Yahoo group and then see how much more I can work through =-)

Angel Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum